Friday, October 8, 2010

Sibling Strengths

My heart goes out to those without siblings, or have some but are separated by geography (or worse).
The thing is, there's so many plusses to growing up with brothers & sisters, and then...raising your children alongside them. No comparison, it's pure bonding magic.

I was an only kid for almost 7 years. I pestered my parents for ages, "please give me a brother or sister, every one else at school has one". And hey presto, there she was. Not purely through my insistence, mind you. I guess mum & dad were finally ready to go round the baby wheel again. Anyhoo, I wouldn't trade my two gorgeous sisters for the world, and they happened to marry reasonably nice (hahaha) guys who are more than worthy of brother status. In addition, through my husband I gained 5 more sisters & 6 brothers. All incredible people. What a rich existence.

Am I in a perfect world bubble or is this just life as it was meant to be lived. In community. Whether or not the closest people to you are blood related or 'kindred spirits' as Anne of Green Gables would say - what remains is a basic human need - to know that there are people who accept you and choose to do life with you despite all they know...and vice versa.

Not sure if I've stayed on track with this blog, but I do know I remain forever grateful to family and friends who enrich my life. Enjoy your siblings & soul mates today. May your relationships resemble true community and fellow-ship and may the fellow's in your ship never tire of sailing the big blue ocean with you, and of course...vice versa.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome musing, Fiapoto :)
    I guess I must hurry up and get Lyla some siblings too ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha. yes get to work. aww love it. i can see the clan in my minds eye already :D

    ReplyDelete